The Archdiocese of Atlanta was elevated on February 21, 1962, from the Diocese of Atlanta which was established on July 2, 1956. The archdiocese encompasses 21,445 square miles and comprises 69 counties in north and central Georgia.
News & Headlines
- February 24, 2024ATLANTA—Dioceses across the U.S. are holding additional listening sessions, following a request from the Vatican’s Secretariat for the Synod of Bishops, in preparation for the second session of the global Synod on Synodality this fall.
- February 22, 2024ATLANTA—Signing the Book of the Elect was a moment of transformation for Chantel Taylor. Putting pen to paper turned an intellectual exercise into a tangible commitment as a new believer in the Catholic Church.
- February 20, 2024ATLANTA—Lent began on Feb. 14 this year with the observance of Ash Wednesday and continues through Good Friday.
- February 18, 2024ROME (CNS)–In an age when even one’s most intimate thoughts and feelings can become fodder for social media, Lent is a time to cast aside appearances and to find God at work in the depths of the heart, Pope Francis said.
- February 16, 2024ATLANTA—Leighton Batiste, when a student at Morehouse College, faced skepticism and disapproval from classmates when he mentioned he was Catholic.