The Archdiocese of Atlanta was elevated on February 21, 1962, from the Diocese of Atlanta which was established on July 2, 1956. The archdiocese encompasses 21,445 square miles and comprises 69 counties in north and central Georgia.
News & Headlines
- September 20, 2023ATLANTA—Two schools in the Archdiocese of Atlanta were recognized as national models of excellence.
- September 18, 2023MARKOWA, Poland (OSV News)–In one of the most significant moments in Polish post-war history, the Ulma family was beatified in Markowa Sept. 10.
- September 16, 2023(OSV News)–Cardinal Timothy M. Dolan of New York told OSV News the 22nd anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks, which will be marked with solemn ceremonies across the U.S., should be observed with memories of lives lost and impacted by the day’s events.
- September 14, 2023ATLANTA—Archbishop Gregory J. Hartmayer extended prayerful greetings to the Jewish community ahead of observances of the High Holy Days of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.
- September 13, 2023ATLANTA—Along with his brother priests, the Marist School community is mourning the loss of alumnus Father Thomas Ellerman, SM, ’58, who died on Sept. 9, in Atlanta.