The Archdiocese of Atlanta was elevated on February 21, 1962, from the Diocese of Atlanta which was established on July 2, 1956. The archdiocese encompasses 21,445 square miles and comprises 69 counties in north and central Georgia.
News & Headlines
- September 24, 2023SMYRNA—The work of the faithful is to be “agents of sabotage” against evil to collaborate with God in the re-creation of the world, Father John Riccardo of Acts XXIX told a sold-out crowd at Rescue Atlanta.
- September 22, 2023ATHENS—St. Joseph Church, the first Catholic church in Athens, celebrated its 150th anniversary on Sunday, Sept. 17, with Mass and a reception at its Epps Bridge Parkway location.
- September 20, 2023ATLANTA—Two schools in the Archdiocese of Atlanta were recognized as national models of excellence.
- September 18, 2023MARKOWA, Poland (OSV News)–In one of the most significant moments in Polish post-war history, the Ulma family was beatified in Markowa Sept. 10.
- September 16, 2023(OSV News)–Cardinal Timothy M. Dolan of New York told OSV News the 22nd anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks, which will be marked with solemn ceremonies across the U.S., should be observed with memories of lives lost and impacted by the day’s events.