Selected Resources for Parish Catechetical Leaders
Many catechetical publishers offer leader guides or supplemental materials adapting them for family catechesis. Consult the publisher or contact the Office of Formation and Discipleship for information.
Family Focused Online Resources
- Strong Catholic Families – Strong Catholic Families process is designed to motivate parents to embrace the responsibility for the faith growth of their children and family as a domestic church and motivate parishes/schools to support and equip parents and families in passing the faith onto their children and deepening the practice of faith within their homes.
- Catholic Parent Revival (CPR)
- The Domestic Church Video
Family Focused Online Resources
Fashioning Faith is a subscription website that helps make lifelong faith formation a reality for your community, and works with the resources and approaches you are currently using for age-specific catechesis. Download plans and programs for intergenerational faith formation, home/family faith growth, age-specific faith learning, and individual learning in the context of daily life.
- Lifelong Faith Formation – LifelongFaith Associates is committed to helping congregations develop lifelong Christian faith formation for all ages and generations, increasing the capacity of leaders and communities to nurture faith growth in everyone.
- Early Catholic Family Life – Offers assistance to parents seeking to pass on the faith to their young children.
- Growing Up Catholic (Parent Coaching) – Contains parish resources that coaches and empowers parents to form their own children in faith.
Recommended Books for Parish Catechetical Leaders
- Families and Faith: A Vision and Practice for Parish Leaders by Leif Kehrwald (Twenty-Third Publications, 2006)
- Getting Back to Basics: A Parish Plan for Family Catechesis by Karen Howard (Twenty-Third Publications, 2001)
- Intergenerational Faith Formation: All Ages Learning Together by Mariette Martineau, Joan Weber, and Leif Kehrwald (Twenty-Third Publications, 2008)
- Church on the Move: 52 Ways to Get Mission and Mercy in Motion, by Joe Paprocki (Loyola Press, 2016)
- Faith Formation 20/20: Designing the Future of Faith Formation by John Roberto (LifelongFaith Associates, 2010)
- Growing Up Catholic for Parents – Contains parish resources that coaches and empowers parents to form their own children in faith.
- Apostolate for Family Consecration – A lay Apostolate that provides family prayer resources
- Strong Catholic Families – Strong Catholic Families process is designed to motivate parents to embrace the responsibility for the faith growth of their children and family as a domestic church and motivate parishes/schools to support and equip parents and families in passing the faith onto their children and deepening the practice of faith within their homes
- Best Practices: Support for Grandparents
- Newsletter from Sister Janet Schaeffler, OP about the importance of grandparents which includes links and activities for all grandparents even those who are at a distance.
Recommended Books for Parents
- Raising Faith-Filled Kids by Tom McGrath, (Loyola Press, 2000)
- Our Family Prays; Catholic Prayers & Traditions, (RCL Benziger, 2015)
- A Catholic Parent’s Tool Box; Raising Healthy Families in the 21st Century, by Joseph D. White, PhD., (Our Sunday Visitor, 2014)
- 10 Things Pope Francis Wants You to Know about the Family by Joshua J. McElwee (Liguori, 2016)
- Our Catholic Family by David Dziena and Gloria Shahin (Pflaum, 2015)
- Celebrating Sunday for Catholic Families by Barbara Matera (LTP, 2016)