Every day, older adults and adults with disabilities are suffering from abuse, neglect, and exploitation; often by people they trust the most. Abusers may be spouses, family members, personal acquaintances, professionals in positions of trust or opportunistic strangers who prey on the vulnerable.

Elder abuse is an under-recognized, undetected and underreported problem with devastating and life-threatening consequences. Report ALL suspected abuse, neglect and exploitation TODAY. Be the voice for those who are suffering silently! 

Types of Abuse

  • Physical abuse
  • Mental, emotional, or verbal abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Neglect
  • Self-Neglect
  • Financial Exploitation


Your Role is to Report.

There is to be no investigation by you or anyone else at the parish, mission, school, or diocesan level.

Report of abuse towards a Disabled Adult or Elder Person

Residing outside long-term care facility

E.g. Home or other community settings

You can report abuse inflicted on a disabled adult or elder person not living in a long-term facility in two ways:

Report through Adult Protective Services (APS) online:

Logo for the Department of Human Services Aging Services Division

Adult Protective Services (APS) is the state entity charged with investigating all reports of abuse, neglect, and/or exploitation of older persons (65+) or an at-risk adult (18+) with a disability who do not reside in long-term care facilities
pursuant to the Disabled Adults and Elder Persons Protection Act, O.C.G.A. §§ 30-5-1, et seq.

Press “3”
Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm

Long-Term Care Facility or Residence

E.g. Nursing Facility, Personal Care Home (including assisted living), and Community Living Arrangement

Facility Locator

You can report abuse inflicted on a disabled adult or elder person living in a long-term facility contacting:

Online by clicking the logo below:

Logo for Healthcare Facility Regulation

Georgia Department of Community Health, Healthcare Facility Regulation (HFR) is responsible for investigating reports in these facilities.

Call (404) 657-5728 or (404) 657-5276 or the toll-free number 800-878-6442.

To file a complaint about a licensed health care facility or service provider, call 1-800-878-6442. Leave your contact information for a return call from our staff. You may also fax your complaint to 404-657-5731.

Long-Term Care Ombudsman

If you or someone you know needs an advocate in any of the long-term care facilities, contact the local Long-Term Care Ombudsman who is authorized to advocate for residents in any licensed long-term care setting. To find your local long-term care ombudsman, call 1-866-552-4464 or call the Office of State Long-term Care Ombudsman at (404) 463-8383 or 1-888-454-5826.

Long-Term Care Ombudsman Locator 

Start typing and press Enter to search