There is no one solution to defeating a pornography problem.
A combination of the suggestions below is recommended.
Clean Heart Online
Clean Heart Online equips men, women, parents, and Catholic leaders to become educated on the harmfulness of pornography, find freedom from pornography, or help others in the pursuit of purity and chastity.
“Breaking Free” Card
To order the “Breaking Free” business card, please contact us at 404-920-7643. This card may be placed in the gathering space of the parish or handed out to those who request help.
Removing the temptation is a crucial step in winning the battle. Today, pornographic images come at us from all angles, but we can take steps to protect ourselves and those we love from intentionally or unintentionally viewing pornographic material. It’s important to envision our computers and smart devices as “doorways” that need some form of protection or lock. Would we allow a person, who had the intention to harm us or our family, through our front door and into our home? Here is a great resource to get you and your family protected.
- Covenant Eyes – Internet Accountability tracks the websites that you visit on your computers, smart phones, and tablets, and sends them in an easy-to-read report to someone you trust. This makes it easy to talk about the temptations you or your family members face online.
Accountability is a huge key in breaking free from pornography. Finding a person you trust who can hold you accountable for your actions, encourage you in times of temptation, and challenge you to continue on the path, is crucial. Being accountable to another person in such an area of struggle as pornography can be difficult and takes a great deal of humility. Humility is the first step towards breaking free. We have to admit we cannot do it on our own.
- The Victory App – A great resource for your Apple or Android smartphone. The app includes multiple features to help you break free, including a calendar tracker to help you track your progress, a daily check-in to help you learn your triggers and eliminate your weak spots, and a button to instantly send a prayer request to your accountability partners. Download it for free on the App Store or Google Play.
When a person views pornography, powerful chemicals are released in the brain. Over time this flood of chemicals in the brain can cause the brain to “rewire” itself and cause “dependence” and “tolerance”. Those struggling with pornography will begin to view others as “objects” to be used not as people created in the image and likeness of God. Conversely, when someone is trying to break free from a pornography problem, part of the work will be to “rewire” his or her brain and way of thinking. Help is available to “rewire” the brain and restore it and the view of the human person back to the way God intended it. Here are some great resources to help get you rewired.
- Reclaim – RECLAiM Sexual Health offers an anonymous, science-based, Catholic Online Recovery Program, and provides resources for those who desire to reclaim God’s plan for their lives, and the lives of loved ones impacted by pornography or other unhealthy sexual behaviors.
- Fortify – Fortify is a web based program developed by professionals that uses the brain science behind a pornography addiction to help you find your path to freedom. Through a series of over 50 dynamic videos, they will dive into why addiction happens, and show you how to break out of the addiction cycle, and explore strategies to help you get to the root of the problem. The best news is that this program is free for those 20 years old and younger!
- Theology of the Body – St. John Paul II, during the first years of his pontificate, delivered 129 teachings on human love in the divine plan. These teachings would become commonly known as the Theology of the Body. This invaluable teaching has since been presented in many formats that help a person to understand the true meaning of his or her sexuality.
- Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body, John Paul II’s General Audience addresses on Human Love in the Divine Plan, Michael Waldstein translation (Pauline, 2006). Find it at Pauline Press. Find it on Amazon.
- Theology of the Body for Teens
- Theology of the Body from the USCCB
- Foundations of the Theology of the Body: An Invitation to Love – Certification Course through the Archdiocese of Atlanta and University of Dallas’ School of Ministry
Admitting there is a problem and getting support to break free is critical to combatting a porn problem. There are a number of places one can go to for support and professional help.
- Counseling – Find a Catholic counselor to help you heal the wounds that pornography/sexual addiction has caused in your life and the lives of those around you. It is important to insure that the counselor will uphold and respect the moral teaching of our Catholic faith as regards sexuality and sexual behavior.
Frequent the Sacraments
Confession and Eucharist – Frequenting the Sacraments allows grace, the free and undeserved gift, into our life and opens us to the power and the working of the Holy Spirit. The Lord knows us better than we know ourselves and offers us the strength to be made new.
- Prayer and Fasting – These spiritual practices are tremendous weapons in the battle against pornography.
“If you are able to fast you will do well to observe some days beyond what are ordered by the Church, for besides the ordinary effect of fasting in raising the mind, subduing the flesh, confirming goodness, and obtaining a heavenly reward, it is also a great matter to be able to control greediness, and to keep the sensual appetites and the whole body subject to the law of the Spirit.” – St. Francis de Sales
- Prayer for Purity by St. Thomas Aquinas
Dear Jesus, I know that every perfect gift, and especially that of chastity, depends on the power of your providence. Without you a mere creature can do nothing. Therefore, I beg you to defend by your grace the chastity and purity of my body and soul. And if I have ever sensed or imagined anything that could stain my chastity and purity, blot it out, Supreme Lord of my powers, that I may advance with a pure heart in your love and service, offering myself on the most pure altar of your divinity
all the days of my life. Amen.